The Pathway advisor will…
- Create an open, respectful, and inclusive environment for all students.
- Be available to answer student questions in a timely manner.
- Support and engage students in the process of attaining their academic and career goals.
- Understand and effectively communication George Mason University deadlines, polices, and procedures.
- Refer students to appropriate campus resources and services as needed to facilitate students’ academic and career development.
- Seek out the assistance of other advisors or supervisors when presented with questions they are unsure about.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance to FERPA.
|The Pathway advisor will…||The Pathway advisor will not…|
|Discuss the process for applying for financial aid as well as scholarship, grant, and work study opportunities.||Discuss detailed individual financial aid eligibility. Please see your financial aid counselor for this information.|
|Provide suggestions for changing and/or adding majors and/or minors.||Sign off on paperwork pertaining to changing and/or adding majors and/or minors. Please see your academic advisor to complete these forms.|
|Provide general academic advising and semester course planning.||Be an expert in all academic programs and cannot promise the accuracy of recommendations. Please confirm all registration plans with your academic advisor.|
- Schedule and attend advising appointments as needed.
- Arrive for advising appointments on time and prepared with questions.
- Regularly check and take responsibility for the contents of their Mason email account with the understanding that it is the primary medium of communication at Mason.
- Read and understand university policies and procedures as outlined in the catalog.
- Regularly review their academic process utilizing the degree evaluation in PatriotWeb.
- Explore and become familiar with campus resources, services, and opportunities that will assist in meeting their goals.
- Take responsibility for decisions and actions that may impact their academic and career goals, with guidance offered by academic advisors to support those decisions and actions.